Saturday, May 12, 2012

Past Projects: Country Shelf

Past Projects will be a fairly regular post (until I no longer have any Past Projects to discuss) that will deal with various projects I have completed in the past.



Date Made: 8th grade (1999ish)

If memory serves me well, this is the first real woodworking project I ever finished; if not the first, certainly in the top 3. This is one of three projects I completed in 8th grade woodshop and the only one I still have today. The other two, a wooden dog and water-pump shaped lamp, have been broken (wooden dogs don’t survive 10 foot drops) or been a gift to loved ones (you are welcome, mom).

This is a pretty simple shelf to make but it has been a useful contributor to every living space I have occupied since its creation. Throughout high school and college, it was home to various athletic trophies, medals, and awards. When I moved into my own apartment, it was home to some pretty sweet hats and various seasonal decorations. And as you can see now, it is home to various keepsakes from my wedding and still home to some pretty sweet hats.

As I said earlier, it is a pretty simple shelf so there isn’t a lot to say about it or how it was made. It was made too long ago for me to really remember any details of working on it. Pictures/Dimensions below for anybody who may want to recreate this particular shelf:

Dimensions
Top Board: 19"x3 1/2"x3/4"
Bottom Board: 17 3/4"x3 1/2"x3/4"

Top View

Rear View

Front View 

Any questions? Feel free to contact me through Twitter or e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment