Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Project: 12”/18” Plyo Box

Such a beautiful paint job.

What home gym is complete without a plyometric box or two? As you’ll soon be able to see, my original design for this project was a simple 12” box. However, I was hit with inspiration in the middle of production and realized I could essentially make my plyo box into a 2-for-1 box.

For what can be considered 2 plyometric boxes, the cost was surprisingly cheap. The basic frame is made of simple 2x4s, which I purchased at Home Depot for only $2.04 thanks to a good selection in their culled wood area (leftover scrap wood they sell for $0.51 each). The plywood used for the top(s) was the most expensive piece at nearly $12. Throw in a can of spray paint for $0.97 (optional) and the total cost of this project was just about $15.


Original design.

Materials:
  • (1) 20"x17.5"x.5"
  • (1) 20"x12"x5"
  • (4) 1.5"x3.5"x11.5"
  • (4) 1.5"x3.5"x17"
  • (4) 1.5"x3.5"x10.5"
  • Screws/Nails
  • (Optional) Paint
As you can see, there is a bit of a discrepancy between my original design and the list of materials. As I was assembling my box, I realized I could easily convert the box to a dual purpose 12" AND 18" Plyo Box in just a few steps. I increased the width of the box from 14" to 17.5" by switching out the 7" middle boards with 10.5" boards. Then I just added another plywood board to the front adding the extra 1/2" to make it an even 18". See pictures below.
Basic frame.
12" Plyo Box.
Add another plywood board to side.
Now we have ourselves an 18" Plyo Box.
Just wanted to show my sweet painting skills again.
Any questions? Feel free to contact me through Twitter or e-mail.

1 comment: